28 April, 2007

Scorching Heat and Road side watermelon



Aha it’s Saturday!! I woke up at 10 AM. I had some work in bank so had to go during day time. I decided to go walkie-talkie. Well, I took an umbrella and a scarf to protect myself from the Sun, but I think that was not enough. To and fro distance traveled is somewhere equal to 3 km. While returning back I was really thirsty and was sweating very badly. First, I thought to have some cold drink like my favorite maaza mango. But then I saw watermelon pieces nicely arranged in a plate at a road side shade. I decided to have one plate of it. I asked for the price.


I really felt like heaven. While I was relishing each bite, there were five other customers who were having it. At the end I asked the amount I had to pay. The lady replied 5 rupees. Well actually I felt like asking her about her day's income. I dont know tamil and hence due to language barrier I didn't asked her that. Then I started estimating her income myself based on the sample of customers I saw there. Heat starts killing you at around 11 AM and it lasts up to 6 PM. Lets estimate on an average 25 customers/hour ( considering the fact that the shop was on one of the very busy roads' side).Hence simple math answer is Rs. 875/day. Hence considering a 30 days month, monthly turnover is Rs. 26,250 (wow!!).

Now on an average 1 watermelon serves 3 plates. Hence approximately, 58 watermelons consumed per day. Cost price of 1 watermelon is 5 rupees. Hence monthly cost of watermelon is Rs. 8700...So Net income is Rs. 17550 (Look at the figure guys!!)...Any one wants to be a road side watermelon seller!! Well Frankly speaking I don’t want to be considering the scorching heat and the monotony of the work. But will surely ponder on to this as a business plan. What do you say?


Disclaimer: Financial gurus please take into consideration the ideal conditions. Accordingly please calculate +ve and -ve tolerance for the net income/month ;)

4 comments:

San said...

look who is blogging??cuppie cake eating water melon..it sure is a gud plan if the estimates of demand n cost is correct..[:d]

Drushti said...

Yeah girl !! There is a big "IF" ...but anyways if made some serious efforts then its actually not a bad market to enter in most of it is still blue and not red ;)..

Anurag said...

i guess the bplan has hit many other than me also :o)

water melon is such a delightful fruit.......whn i was in my engg....in kerela..there used to be this tech fest every yr...n one water melon juice maker used to put up stall (wonder why he never came for the rest of the yr)....it was just awesome :o)

btw....nice blog :o)

Drushti said...

Thank you Anurag..!! :)